Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Tuesdays Are Almost As Bad As Mondays

My favorite day of the week is Saturday, followed by:

Sunday
Friday
Thursday
Wednesday
Tuesday
Monday

When I retire, they will all be the same . . . great days!

Retirement seems like the light at the end of the tunnel that never arrives, but I'm 28 months away from full retirement age; and, by hell or high water, I'm going to end the day job and get more involved in family, music, and home repair.  And, hey, as my income plummets, perhaps I'll qualify for those government programs that help po' folks fix up their houses!

I'm a pretty busy guy.  I work 40 hours a week for the State of Minnesota as an employment counselor, riding herd on welfare recipients either to find work or file for disability.  10% of my customers take up 90% of my time.  Egads!

Then there's my live radio show, Minnesota HomeBrew.  I get paid for three hours, again by the State (through a Legacy Grant), and I put in 8 - 10 hours on the show.  AND I should put in more time to make it the show I want it to be, complete with in-depth, dazzling interviews. 

Then there's songwriting which I do little of.  I start a lot of songs, then they sit there as if in a petri dish, either germinating or dying.  The problem with being a sexagenarian songwriter is that one's sort of (I said "sort of") over writing love songs.  So I look for other subjects and have thus become "famous" for my weird, bent, nutty, eyebrow-raising offerings, even though I've written some pretty, heartfelt songs, like "A Day in April" and "That Moment."  Here are some recent and not-so-recent unfinished song ideas:

"Why Are My Clothes Shrinking" about the battle of the bulge.
"Oklee MN 56742" about my favorite little town.
"Lloyd & Leo" about my hometown cops.
"Shower Hooks" about less-than-useful things in our lives.
"Beer Snob" about the perils of learning too much about beer.
"My Least Favorite Things," a parody on "My Favorite Things" from The Sound of Music.
"War Is Heck," a tongue-in-cheek song about how modern conveniences make being a soldier a bit easier.

And then there's my grandkids, Liv & Ody!

So, when people say that retirement would be boring, I tell them that I would still be busier than a Pole in a pirogue shop!


No comments:

Post a Comment