Friday, February 28, 2014

Beatlemania

I was in 8th grade when the Beatle's first appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show, February 9, 1964.  I was already playing guitar, mostly surf music, but everything changed after that.  No more three-chord songs . . . verse, chorus, verse, chorus, verse chorus.  The Fab Four crafted such beautiful bridges to most of their songs, something that has impacted my songwriting to this day.

And playing in a band caused my social stock to rise exponentially!

JFK was assassinated only 79 days before.  It's always been my opinion that the Beatles were sucked into a cultural vaccuum created by that heinous event.  America needed to forget.

All My Loving was the first song the boys played on TV.  I have a recollection of Paul's mic not being turned on the first few seconds of the songs, but TV clips seem to disprove that.

The first album I could afford to buy was Beatles '65.  I loved those songs, especially No Reply and I'm a Loser.

Then came Rubber Soul--sheer ear candy to me.  Revolver was very interesting, but I'll admit that I didn't care for the Indian/rock fusion, being a popster.

Stupid me--I had a chance to attend their concert at Met Stadium in Bloomington MN, and I thought the $5.00 ticket was too much.  My butt is sore from kicking myself for the past 50 years.

Sgt. Pepper started my disinterest in the band.  I've ALWAYS been one who likes bands who can play their stuff on stage.  The overproduction did me in.  And, to me, the Beatles got too full of themselves and, even though they're my all-time favorite band, I have to take my hat off the the Stones who always seemed to remain an organic unit.

I now do a solo act, mostly original stuff, but I'd love to include Julia, Girl, I'm Looking Through You, and Michelle into my act.  Everyone plays You've Got to Hide Your Love Away and Blackbird.

50 years is so hard to believe.  I watched the Grammy special commemorating their anniversary.  What struck me as odd was the musicians they chose to perform to Sir Paul and Ringo (why isn't he Sir Ringo?).  I would have chosen more well-known artists.  I had never heard of Gary Clark Jr. or Pharrell Williams (go ahead, call me square).  And why didn't they have Brad Paisley do one of the more countrified Beatles' songs, like Act Naturally or even I'm Looking Through You.  That said, he didn't look too happy to be doing a duet with Pharrell Williams.

What a hoot watching 81-year-old Yoko Ono dancing in the aisle.  Even Sean was moving to the music.  I thought I saw Julian at the very end, a few rows back, but I could be mistaken.  I've always felt bad that he got the short end of the stick.

Charisma, charm, wit, good looks, GREAT music . . . it's small wonder why the Beatles made it to the toppermost.

No comments:

Post a Comment