Friday, February 28, 2014

Beer

Martin Mull once said that no one buys beer, they simply rent it.

I didn't start drinking beer in earnest until I turned 50.  American lagers never appealed to me.  The words Schlitz, Hamms, Grain Belt, Schmidt, and Pabst conjured up thoughts of foul tasting liquid made slightly palatable by to good shake of salt. 

Then, the sun broke through the clouds when I stopped at my friend, Dave Olson's place in Tomah, Wisconsin.  Dave asked if I wanted to taste the amber ale he had just brewed.  I'm like, "You make beer?"  My son, Brian, was with, and he said, "My dad doesn't drink."  Of course, that wasn't true--I drank water, milk & OJ.  But, I knew what he meant. 

Brian just about fell over when I said, "Sure, I'll try it!"

Dave helped open up a whole new world to me and even offered to buy me a brewing kit.  I didn't take him up on it, but I continued to try craft beers on tap and in the bottle.  14 years later, I still don't drink much beer, but I like to try new things and, thanks to a burgeoning brewing industry, I have lots to try.

My first favorite beer was Newcastle Brown Ale.  I remember getting a tall glass of it at Buffalo Wild Wings in Fargo, North Dakota.  It was heavenly.  Then I went to a graduation party and was introduced to Blue Moon.  Now, before you think, "That's a big box beer by Coors," I haven't yet tasted a wheat ale that I like better, but I'm sure willing to try. 

So, wheat beer (which also has barley in it) is my preference, and I rather like fruit-infused varieties (I know, I know). 

Growing up in Wisconsin, I eventually discovered the offerings of New Glarus Brewing, just south of Madison.  Spotted Cow is made from corn & barley, one I like to crack open after work on Fridays.  Then, while visiting Brian at college in Platteville, Wisconsin, he took us to Potosi Brewing on the Mississippi, and it was love at first taste when I ordered a glass of Cave Ale.  Sadly, neither beer is sold in Minnesota, but I load up when I make a trip east.

One thing I have learned:  I don't like hoppy beers.  Call me a beer wuss if you must, but I like beers less than 30 IBU's (International Bitterness Units).  Here's a list of my favorites:

Any of the Wild beers:  Wild Blue, Wild Red, Wild Black (Blue Dawg)
Monte Python's Holy Grail Ale (Black Sheep)
Cherry Wheat (Samuel Adams)
Vanilla Porter (Breckenridge)
1554 (New Belgium)
Honeycrisp Apple Wheat (Shock Top)
Spotted Cow (New Glarus)
Cave Ale (Potosi)
Pre-Prohibition Lager (Lucky Bucket)
Summer Shandy (Leinenkugel's)
Blue Moon (Blue Moon)
and my favorite holiday beer . . . Shiner Holiday Cheer (Spoetzl)

Then there's the beers that only come in growlers:

Apricot Ale (Fitger's)
Sinister Pear (Laughing Sun)

All told, I like draught beer better than in the bottle or can.  And, to me, beer is to be drunk on an empty stomach--sort of an appetizer.  That's all the wisdom I have for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment