Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Genealogy

Some folks just don't care about family history.  That amazes me coz I have a burning interest in it.  In some small way, I get to know my ancestors through research and hope that it'll help me identify them when we meet in the wild blue.

And I can forgive those who have no interest; after all, I care nothing about NASCAR, pro football, and quilting, and no one's bothered me yet about it.

Ancestry.com is a WONDERFUL research tool . . . a bit spendy, but most useful.  One can search a name, then click on Family Trees, and glom onto others' research.  A warning--sometimes others' research is faulty, so you must sift through the facts, interpolate, then decide what your truth is.

There are other useful websites depending on what state you live in.  Check them out!

My grandmother, Julia Agnes O'Connell Bosk, died in 1919 after spending a few years in the Municipal Tuberculosis Sanatorium in NW Chicago.  Now it's a nature park, but some of the old buildings are still there.  This summer, I hope to take a tour of North Park Village courtesy of Frances Archer.  Then I'll buzz over to Calvary Cemetery in Evanston to her grave site. 

Maybe it's important to me coz I never knew any of my grandparents, the last two dying when I was five months old.  Time is a cruel adversary.

No comments:

Post a Comment