Friday, March 21, 2014

Customer Service

Whatever happened to customer service?  In a world of values clarification, I wonder if providing good customer service is now up to the individual worker.

Case in point.  Almost every morning, I go to the local Super One store for a maple-frosted, unfilled long john, for my granddaughter, Olivia.  Fairly often, there are ones with white frosting, ones with white frosting & chopped peanuts, ones with white frosting & coconut, and ones with chocolate frosting.  Now, forgive me for being too logical, but it seems to me that, if they always run out of the ones with maple frosting, maybe they should make more of those.  Call me irrational if you will, but the solution is to keep an inventory of what you make and what is left over.  That way, you can adjust what varieties you prepare each morning.

To make matters worse, I've nicely suggested this on many occasions, and NOTHING CHANGES.  I've mentioned it to the bakery workers and to the checkers.  Should I go to the manager about a silly sweet roll?  Time will tell.

While I'm at it, another problem has cropped up in the bakery.  A new worker started there, and all of a sudden the long johns were 2/3 the size they are supposed to be.  After mentioning it a half dozen times, it's gotten better.

So not only is customer service a dying art, but so is quality control.

Another thing that irritates me is when I thank a server, and s/he says "No problem."  No problem?  I certain would hope it's no problem waiting on me.  What ever happened to, "My pleasure" or, better yet, "I live to serve your ever need because, if it weren't for the customer, I wouldn't have a job."  Well, maybe that's a little overboard, but that should be the sentiment with which people wait on customers.

I won't even begin with the epidemic of tattoos and piercings.

No comments:

Post a Comment